Friday, May 8, 2009

A Three Hour Tour...

*humming the Gilligan tune*

Today I wanted to go to Costco, that was honestly my only goal. Because we needed a couple things...

I felt the urge to take my camera with me because I haven't been using it much lately. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to take a picture of but I knew I wanted to take a picture (or several). Since there isn't much between the base and the nearest Costco, I decided to head in the direction of the other one on the island, hoping I'd figure out what I wanted to take pictures of in between.

I took the wrong exit for the Costco and ended up driving through Waikiki and Honolulu a bit and eventually ended up at the Bishop Museum after a series of turns. While I do want to return to the Museum on another day, today I didn't figure it would be worth the money given Anya was on the edge of meltdown. If I kept moving, I figured she'd fall asleep after awhile.

Once again I found myself not entirely sure where I was but it's an island, eventually you have to turn or you end up in the ocean, and I was on a major road. So I kept driving. I found myself wedged between the mountains and eventually passed through one of the tunnels (where I got no radio signal by the way) and on the eastern side of the island.

By this point, it seemed a little foolish to turn around and back track - it would take just as long to get back to Honolulu and loop up to base as it would (probably) to take the coastal route. So we kept on driving along the coast...

The coast of Hawaii...it was one of those days where I thought "I live in Hawaii! How did this happen?!" Yes, over a year later and I still think like that. It's completely baffling to me some days. At this point I still hadn't taken any pictures because I was too busy trying to figure out where exactly we were. I pulled over a few times to take pictures though once I was oriented.

Almost four hours after we left the house to go to Costco, we got home - never having gone to Costco. Oh well, another day perhaps.

These first two are actually from a trip to North Shore a couple weeks ago.



The rest are from today.




1 comment:

mel @ the larson lingo said...

beautiful pics! and, how fun to be able to drive around the island like that!