Saturday, April 25, 2009

New Words

About a month ago, I was starting to really wonder about Inara in terms of speech. I knew she understood pretty much everything I was telling her but was just quiet and not particularly expressive. So I started watching and listening to her more to try and get an idea of her vocabulary (this is not a particularly telling exercise but everyone always says "oh little Jimmy says XX number of words..." so I figured I'd try). I didn't last long at actually counting but decided to just keep listening. Then just in the last few weeks she's suddenly stringing words together to make small phrases and has embraced a few choice words.

"Me!" - This one is accompanied usually by her pointing to herself or thumping her chest like Tarzan. It generally follows one of her sisters being given something by me or me doing something with them (i.e. someone other than her). Today I was covering Anya's head with a blanket and playing Peek-a-boo and Inara came over with her blanket and shoved it in my face and proclaimed "Me!" Then when I didn't immediately transfer the game to her, she said "Me! Up" and held the blanket over her head.

"Mine!" - This one is fairly new on the scene and hasn't taken firm ground yet but I fear it will soon. It's pretty self-explanatory.

"No" - Now normally, I don't particularly like it when my kids tell me no. Today, however, I asked Inara to do something small. It wasn't particularly important but I asked her to do whatever it was (I don't remember now) and she just looked at me, grinned, shook her head and said "no". It wasn't a strong, attitude-y "NO!" - it was a sweet and comical and light. Carefree almost. If she knew to shrug her shoulders with it, it would have been perfect. I couldn't stop myself from laughing which I'm sure will diminish my authoritative power in the future but it was funny!

She's a funny little kid...

No comments: