Monday, February 9, 2009

Operation Defunk

In an earlier post, I mentioned the blah, funk I seem to be in. Part of getting out of that funk is to get out of the house - or more specifically off base - more often. I plan to go to the zoo tomorrow or Wednesday (if I don't blog about it by Wednesday night, feel free to virtual smack me upside the head).

Today we only went to the commissary which was surprisingly uneventful. Inara didn't even try to steal anything this time. On advice from a friend I bought multiple gallons of milk this time since the girls drink milk like every cow in America is going to dry up tomorrow. We usually go through a gallon every two to two and a half days. Which means going back to the store often if I only one or two gallons at a time. Now I have a shelf in my fridge dedicated to milk which will all be gone well before they come close to expiring. I'll still need to go to the store for other things in there but at least if I choose to put it off a day I should have milk for the kidlets.

When we went to check the mail this afternoon, I took the kids over to the playground for a bit. No it's not off the base but it's out of the ordinary so that was nice. I still remember being that mom that hovered over her kid when Jadzia was a toddler. At the time I was barely a foot away from her at all times because I was a first time mom and was convinced she'd walk right off the playscape. As it turns out my notions were almost right as today Inara tried to WALK down the slide. If you've ever gone down a slide, you probably know this is challenging even to a balanced person, let alone an unbalanced two year old. She started out okay and then the slope and speed caught up with her and she started to fall. She thankfully fell mostly on her butt and slid the last little bit down more shocked than anything. Meanwhile Mommy looked around for someone to restart her heart. Until that point, I was rather proud of Inara because she almost seemed afraid of the big slide every time we came to the playscape. She'd never go down it on her own, though she'd climb up to the top of the scape to be with Jadzia. She'd just climb back down instead of sliding. Today, with little encouragement from me, she finally put her legs over and slid down the big slide all by herself. The first time she let out a little shriek of shock I think and looked a little dazed when she got to the bottom but then she laughed and ran to climb back up and do it over and over and over.

So while today wasn't a ground breaking movement to defunk the mommy person, it was a start and I do feel a little better. Tomorrow - weather permitting - the zoo! Even have my camera all charged up!

No comments: