Thursday, March 12, 2009

GA: "I Will Follow You Into The Dark"

Kisha (or anyone else), if you're reading this right now and haven't watched this episode, turn around and walk away. Seriously, stop reading, right now! Go read Cake Wrecks or something. Yes, go, I see you looking back - don't do it - you'll hate yourself. You don't want the spoilers! You. Must. Look. Away.

Are you gone now?

Echo...echo...echo...

Okay, now that that's taken care of I will proceed with the blog full of spoilers about the episode. So don't read this if you haven't watched it. You've been warned - a lot.

Living in Hawaii, I am tragically hours behind everyone else in terms of prime time television hours. Eight PM on the east coast is like 2 in the afternoon here. So it's easy for things to get spoiled for me. Thankfully I'm not really adverse to spoilers. I'm the person who will "accidentally" read last couple pages of a book first just to make sure it all turns out okay and then read the book. I don't always do it, but it's been known to happen. Anyway, I know I spew about Grey's Anatomy a lot lately - I'm in a Grey's place. It's my comfort food sometimes - well that and chocolate. So for those that don't watch Grey's Anatomy - well you just have to deal.

So Derek is dark right now. I don't like Dark Derek. He's angry and he's drunk and all full of self-loathing. He's supposed to be the shiny one - Mer's Knight in Shining Whatever. All that being said, I get it. I get the storyline and I get the character development and I know we all have darkness in us somewhere. Derek has shone his darkness before - he called Mer a whore. But I still don't like it. What I did like was Meredith. She used to be the dark and twisty one. She was full of doubt and self-loathing and wanting to please mommy (both alive and dead). She had issues - lots of issues. Like a library full of issues. But she's grown! Five seasons later and instead of collapsing into a puddle of misery or running away when Derek verbally assaulted her, she stayed because that's what he needed - even if he doesn't realize it or want to accept it because he angry and drunk. He needs her to be there when he's slightly less dark and sober. And because she's all whole and healed - she gets that he needs to follow the cycle. The episode leaves you screaming and with a great feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach after just watching him hit the ring with bat! Seriously?! His mother's ring? Yeah, five minutes later while Private Practice is gearing up, you're still looking at the TV dumbfounded. But it's all gonna be good - okay is seems horrid and bad - bad, real bad - but it's gonna be okay because they BOTH have to heal and be each others' Knight in Shining Whatever.

Onto someone else. When I saw Christina approaching Hunt while he was sleeping - I totally knew what was coming. I knew he was gonna react that way and I hurt inside when I saw it. When they brought Hunt on the show, given his background, I wasn't sure I'd be able to watch once Robby deployed and I was sort of right. I can still watch but Hunt's issues - yeah they give me the ache in the stomach too. But he and Christina fit together. They compliment each other in a weird way. I love that she seems to understand him but she doesn't push for him to talk, she's just there and not going anywhere.

Izzy. Poor Izzy. I love Izzy. Her bright and shiny and puppies and rainbows can bug me sometimes but the others need that. They need Christmas shoved down their throats and they need the happiness infused into their lives. They need Izzy so I really hope Izzy doesn't die. Because that would suck for the show and the characters. I think she's developed a lot over the last season. After Denny died, she said she wasn't a surgeon and maybe she's not really but she is a doctor and she is a teacher and she found a good niche with the interns. When the Intern exam came up and they all got their own interns, I wondered how the show would flow because it went from being primarily focused on one resident and the fab five to the fab five trying to go their own way with a bunch of followers. There's only so much surgery to go around after all. On the other hand, they couldn't stay interns forever. So they've all been trying to find their place. Mer with the clinical trial, George with his struggle to be better and so on. So I hope Izzy doesn't die. I want her to be the miracle terminal patient that helps Derek get whole and healed or something. I liked when Izzy went to Christina in the end - she needed to tell someone and couldn't "infect the happy people". Even though George is her person and Alex is her boyfriend - they were happy and Christina is a rock who approaches things medically. The final scene in the boiler room was awesome - I've always noticed how much they can "say" on the show just with eyes. In surgery, all you can see is the eyes so you can learn a lot by watching their eyes. It was great! And Alex is becoming a rock star - slowly but he's working on it. I hope Izzy lives for him too because after the breakdown with Rebecca/Ava - I think Izzy dying would break him. Utterly and completely. He's just starting to become less of a complete jerk, let's not screw up his progress - please?

And then there's George, poor forgotten George. I miss George - that's all there really is to say because George was pretty much a non-entity. Poor forgotten George.

No comments: