Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Adventures of Kirby

Y'all know the Kirby people right? The really expensive vacuum sales people? Yeah, they've struck here twice before and I managed to avoid the spiel each time by explaining I already have a Kirby (truth) and I don't need another one (also truth). I kindly take their contact information so I can use them for replacement parts.

Today, they came again. They offered to do my stairs and upstairs hall even though they knew I already had a Kirby and would not be buying another. Well I've been fighting a losing battle with dog hair as of late and figured what the heck. I hate vacuuming period, I despise doing the stairs because it's a pain so if someone else was gonna do it for me while I listened to a sales pitch - I could do that. Of course when I agreed to this, I figured it would take 45 minutes to an hour. Two hours later the stairs and hall were finally done and the real pressure started.

Do you remember mentioning that I already had a Kirby? That I didn't need a new one? Yeah, I thought so - so do I. They, apparently, did not. While I like my Kirby and it does good work, I don't need another one. I don't want another one. I don't want to upgrade to the newest generation of Kirby vacuum.

By the time the demonstration was done, Anya was hungry and tired. The kids should have eaten an hour before and be gearing up for bed -instead they were following up and down the stairs and hungry. I thought he would be packed up and out quickly. Yeah packing up took almost as long as the demo it seemed. In the end, I did buy a replacement hose and belt that I needed at least but managed to shoo them out the door with a promise to call if I reconsidered or needed parts.

If the Kirby people come a knocking - don't let them in even if they save you from a dreaded chore. Well unless you want a Kirby.

No comments: