Friday, January 23, 2009

Cinderelly, Cinderelly!

Yes, it was a Cinderella day today in honor of Princess Inara! I started the cake last night but spent the bulk of today actually applying icing and decorating. I stowed the presents upstairs where they wouldn't be seen until it was time so the rest of the day was business as usual pretty much. Except Jadzia and I sang happy birthday to Inara a half dozen times all day. The first time she looked at us like we'd grown three heads, then she just grinned with the occasional head bury into her blanket. I'm not sure if that was her being shy or embarrassed.

I invited our neighbors over for the cake and presents - that was the gist of our birthday celebration really. Inara and their little boy were playing at the chalkboard while we finished setting up and wouldn't come into the other room at first. I finally went to get her and told her to come open her presents. She took a few steps toward me and turned to the boy and started patting her knees like she has seen me call the dogs.

When I brought the presents out the first thing Jadzia asked was which one was hers. I tried explaining the whole "this is Inara's day" concept but I don't think she got it really. So when it came time to open the presents, Jadzia was quick to jump in and "help" Inara; even when Inara was doing just fine.

It was a fun, mellow day and I can honestly say Inara is two. Today she acted her age that's for sure. She was grabbing at things, throwing things, crying and screaming. I see fun times ahead - note the sarcasm.


The Cake
midway through

done

No comments: