Monday, January 12, 2009

Cinderella in Wonderland

Or something like that. Before kids, before the Army, before Hawaii, before we were actually married - Robby and I lived with his sister and her family (her, a husband and 2 kids at the time). During our short time there, our niece rather liked the movie Finding Nemo. By "rather liked" I mean she watched it at least 4 times a day, everyday for months on end. As a result, I have a rather strong dislike of Nemo and Dory and Marlin and even poor little Squirt. There is such a thing as too much and we reached it quickly. My mom's girlfriend, knowing my Nemo grudge and knowing that I managed to keep Nemo out of my house for almost four years, was kind enough to send Jadzia Finding Nemo as a birthday present this past year.

But I digress, our niece was around 2 years old at the time the one-movie-day started. When Jadzia reached 2 and started watching the occasional movie, I was happy - nay thrilled, ecstatic, jumping for joy, etc - that she seemed to appreciate variety. No movie was every watched more than once a day at least. Even if the same movies were watched each day, once a day I could handle. Plus I went out of my way to hunt down several Disney movies; despite the pesky Disney Vault in order to offer her choices. Since then, very rarely has the same movie been watched multiple times in a day - until recently.

Inara, who is fast approaching 2 years old has glommed onto Cinderella. In the beginning she would varied it up by choosing one of the three (yes we have Cinderlla, Cinderella II and Cinderella III). But now, she only has eyes for the original. I can't say I blame her, Cinderellas II and III were about as good as every other straight to DVD Disney cartoon sequel; in short: they're bad. Not to be out done or some other such nonsense, Jadzia has picked Alice in Wonderland as her movie - and only Alice in Wonderland (aside from the occasional Jurassic Park viewing). Unlike the dreaded Nemo months, I can relegate the Cinderella in Wonderland marathon to the playroom, marginally preserving what sanity I have remaining. I'm rather fond of Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland and would hate to have them ruined by 4 or more viewings a day. If I ever wish for the glass slipper to fit Anastasia or for the Queen of Hearts to have successfully beheaded Alice, I know I'll have slipped over the edge.

I am plotting, however, to detach Jadzia from her Alice addiction by procuring the original Land Before Time (NO! I do not need, nor desire, the complete collection of crappy sequels). As she has developed a fondness for dinosaurs; I feel Littlefoot and even Sharptooth would be far less emotionally damaging than Jurassic Park.

As for Inara, I predict another princess cake being made soon - this time blue with blond hair. I suppose we'll have a full on Cinderella party for her in a couple weeks too. Of course by then she'll probably have glommed onto Sleeping Beauty...or Finding Nemo.

No comments: