Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inara the Thief

Yesterday, we made a run to the commissary for a few little things. Since we weren't doing a major shopping trip, I grabbed one of the fun "car carts" that lack in proper basket space (especially when an infant car seat takes up part of the limited space) but have steering wheels for the kids. The kids were very well behaved throughout the shopping trip. Jadzia was quick to inform me of other children that were not so happy at the moment and I had nothing but sympathy for those mothers.

After grabbing far more than I'd intended to buy and filling up what little basket space there was with mostly stuff I didn't really need, I proceeded to the check out. I chatted with the cashier as I unloaded and commented about how I always leave with more than I came in for. For once, Jadzia and Inara both seemed to keep their arms and legs inside the vehicle.

Now at a commissary, we have baggers who take your groceries to your car, load said groceries and work on tips alone. Usually I try to have my key and tip ready when we get to the car so they can get back inside quickly in order to help someone else but, as it sometimes happens, the key had shimmied its way down to the bottom of the diaper bag. The very bottom. After a couple minutes of digging, I was able to open the car and started to get the kids inside.

That's when I noticed Inara had a candy bar. Not one that we bought or even picked up; or at least I hadn't picked it up. Near as I can assume, Inara had snagged it from the candy shelf as I checked out and no one ever noticed. I took it away from Inara, much to her dismay, and asked the bagger to take it back inside for me. What happened to it from there I don't know as I now had a crying two year old on my hands. I tipped the bagger and wrestled Inara into her car seat so we could go home.

Why do grocery stores put the candy there, at perfect height for little hands? Don't answer that, I already know but I wonder how much is accidentally stolen by grabby children sitting in the cart waiting for mommy to check out? And while I'm asking rhetorical questions, why do they keys (or the pen, or the wallet or whatever it is you need at a given moment) always slip to the very bottom of the bag?

No comments: